Talking to my employer
Are you an employee who is interested in making your workplace healthier for you and your colleagues?
Workplace health programs have been shown to have the most impact and to provide the most benefit to employees when they:
- are planned with organizational support
- address individual worker health as well as the broader organizational environment
- look at a variety of health topics
For this to happen, you will need to engage with your human resources department or senior level executives to get their support. This website provides the information they will need to a) understand the business case for workplace wellness, b) set a good foundation and c) get started.
Two key elements of a workplace wellness program are understanding what employees want from the program and having an employee wellness champion. A big piece of the puzzle is your willingness to offer support to the program.
So what are you waiting for? Think through the list of questions below and write up a short summary of your thoughts. Set a meeting with human resources or a member of your senior management team and find out what they need to get started. Use the resources on this website to assist your organization with starting to plan the wellness program.
Use the following questions to prepare for your meeting with HR or a senior manager.
- Why is workplace health important? Why is it important to you?
- What type of program or wellness do you want to see at your workplace (Getting started section)?
- How can you participate or support the initiative?
- What other departments do you think might be helpful to get the conversation started? Who do you need at the organization to get this started?
- Where would health and wellness initiatives take place? Where would employees access information?
You may not know the answers to these questions, but starting to think about them will help move this initiative forward. Employers know that the health and wellness of their employees is important but often don’t know where to start when it comes to developing a wellness program. These things take time – plan to start slowly and know that it can sometimes take 6 months to a year to set a good foundation.